Step By Step Recipe for Homemade Bread
4½ cup warm water
3 (.25 ounce) packages of active dry yeast
10¼ cups of bread flour
One tablespoon of white sugar
2 cups of quick cooking oats
2 cups of whole wheat flour
1½ tablespoons of salt
1 cup of brown sugar
½ cup of vegetable oil
- Using the mixing bowl of an electric mixer, mix ½ cup of warm water, one tablespoon of sugar, ¼ cup of bread flour and yeast. Let it grow for about 5 minutes. It should start to form bubbles almost immediately.
- Measure the oats, 4½ cups of warm water, whole wheat flour, salt, 1 cup of sugar, and the vegetable oil into the mixing bowl. Mix on low speed using a dough hook for 1 to 2 minutes. Increase the rate slightly and begin to add the bread flour, 1 cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The humidity will determine how much flour you will need before the bread pulls away from the edge of the pan. It is normal for the dough to be sticky.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn it around to coat its whole surface with oil. Cover the bowl using a wet cloth. Let the dough rise for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into six pieces, shape into loaves and place each in a greased 8x4 inch pan. Let them rise until the mixture is about 1 inch above the rim of the pans. The wait can take up to an hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes, or until the tops turn brown. Leave them to cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then turn them into wire racks to cool completely.
- It is ready to serve and enjoy.